Monday, March 12, 2018

AWAY from HOME at HOME ...


Yesterday the weather got mild ENOUGH to spend time in my garden DUNGEON ... RECORD HIGH of 60 degrees F ... NEVER seen before in this land of COLD and SNOWY and LONG winters ... DOOR and WINDOWS open ... I swept the mouse POOP, spider WEBS and dead FLIES accumulated during the PAST months ... 

Entering it after that long felt like getting inside a GIANT time CAPSULE ... And the SMELL of my naturalist CABIN ! 

If I close my EYES, I get INSTANTLY transported to my GRAND-PARENTS's little SUMMER camp by the river when I was a KID ... 

Where I would FISH with my GRAND-PAPA Paul for eels with a flashlight at night in a HAND-MADE dingy, EXPLODE ripe black walnuts with a wise-grip, DIG for soft water clams in the mud ... Where I would COLLAGE with my GRAND-MAMAN Gabrielle animal pictures clipped in magazines, add unknown SPECIMENS to my pressed-leaves BOOK, bake a cake while the current art project was DRYING on the kitchen table and read Enyd Blyton's MYSTERY BOOKS by the light of a candle while NATURE sang in strange voices through the moskito screens of the VERANDA ... 

My OUTDOOR studio is my little place AWAY from home ... at HOME ...

No comments: