Wednesday, September 14, 2011

NOW WHAT ???

WHAT now, garden ?
Aren't you HAPPY with my work ?
I CANNED jars and jars of ripe italian plum jams, ROASTED tons of sweet red peppers, PICKLED bushels of caliente hot chilis ...
I DRIED pans and pans of tomatoes in the oven, FROZE bagfulls of blueberries, strawberries, rasberries and whateverotherberries, WHIPPED a mountain of pesto with freshly picked garlic and basil ...
I BOILED pots and pots of two-color corn, GRATED fat and long carrots, ATE fiery-tasting radishes, PUT AWAY potatoes and onions ...
BAKED zucchini bread, PREPARED butternut soup, STORED the oregano, thym and tarragon away in paper bags ...
I MADE swiss chard pies, tomatillo salsa and crab apple preserves ...
still, you are NOT happy ?
What do YOU expect me to do
with the ALL the sunflowers SHRIVELLING on their stalks, the sweet AND tart wild apples BENDING the branches to the soil with their weight and the pumpkins TURNING more and more orange as the days TURN shorter ?
And the sweet crunchy pears DROPPING on my head ?
And the figs BURSTING for attention ?
WHAT now ?
The grapes ?
They are ALREADY ripe ?
I know what you'll be WHINING about soon ...
You'll WANT me to tuck you in BED for the winter
and tell you a STORY of spring coming back soon
AGAIN ... 

2 comments:

Petie said...

LuLu...I thought I followed your Blog! Well I do now! It's beautiful! <3

Luna said...

Always charmed by your blog entries - this one is particularly cool!