Friday, March 4, 2011

ONE OF MY IDOLS ...

When I GROW UP,

I wanna be COUGAR ANNIE ...

Settled in 1915

on a REMOTE parcel of land

on Vancouver Island,

DETERMINED to make a NEW life for

herself, her husband and 3 children,

Ada HACKED and CLEARED

the wild acreage HERSELF

and created a PARADISE

to sustain her family

AND

please their eyes.

Ada got her NICKNAME

for the MANY cougars she shot

during her lifetime ...

She bore 8 MORE children

and OUTLIVED 4 husbands

while tending her garden EXTRAORDINAIRE,

where she remained till her mid-90s ...

Look at THAT smile on her face !

4 comments:

Diane Duda said...

Wow. I feel very inadequate now. :)
But good for Annie!

Gloria said...

That's a great story lulu. Great for Annie. Looks like she always knew what she wanted in life. Reminds me of you.:) Have a great weekend.

jc said...

What a cool and informative story about a fellow canadian pioneer. I'm new to your blog and I love your poetic style!

Sydney said...

Thanks for posting the picture of my Great Great Grandmother while she was in Africa. It's such a lovely photograph, and lovely to see a few pictures of her online. I'm currently living abroad and mother complains our printer isn't scanning, so I have a hard time finding pictures to show my boyfriend's family.

Sincerely,
Sydney
Grand-daughter of Cougar Annie.