Monday, April 12, 2010

COCKADOODLE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING ...

Early Thursday morning, we found our dear mean older rooster Jello lying half-dead in the coop ...

Seems like young lad Cockadoodle felt like having some with the girls and did not want any competition around ...

We fenced him to keep him away and for the first time in 6 years was able to pick up Jello in my arms and hold him.

Poor thing had just about lost his comb and his ennemy had tried to get at his eye too but missed.

I sat with Jel in the warm sun, talking to him and cleaning him up the best I could.

But I could see that he was hurt, not only physically but also in his man, I mean rooster, pride.

He was not the ONE anymore ...

I thought for a while that he would not survive the attack and would just die in his corner...

But no ! Jello is the Master of Meanness, isn't he? And he sure is a tough big bird ...

The girls were worried and running around in circles.

And of course, Cockadoodle was getting ready at a second try...

I spent Sunday making calls and trying to find someone who would adopt the young rooster for purposes other that a meal. And I did !!!

Cockadoodle has now been relocated in a nice and clean old-fashioned farm nearby with not 6 but 23 hens and no rooster around.

I know a rooster who's gonna be partying for a few days in a row now ...

Peace has returned to the coop, Jello has recovered fully, maybe with a bit less of a spiky comb, and the girls are delighted.

Don't you love fairy tales with a happy ending?

10 comments:

sassypackrat said...

Awww, so glad it ended happy!

Heidi said...

Really great story! So glad things worked out for Jello!

pinkglitterfae said...

I'm glad Jello is ok, and the young upstart is gone elsewhere, lol!
they sure love to strut their stuff don't they?

Gloria said...

Great story and glad that Jello is happy as pie now.:D

Dragonlady said...

Loved how you told this story...
glad that Jello is King of the Roost again..
hugs
Brenda

yoborobo said...

Whew! That was a close call for Jello! I am so happy you found a new home for Cockadoodle. Peace in the barnyard. :)) xo Pam

Lisa said...

Aww that was the best story ever!

Jill said...

I'm so glad Jello is ok & old Cockadoodle has a nice new home now. I wish I lived someplace where we could have chickens running around!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

I am SO happy this story ended well. I was getting nervous there for a minute. Ahhhh...boys will be boys, won't they! ;) Theresa

Rina said...

AAWWW....love the story...and your photos are beautiful....so bright and clear...wish I could get all my photos that good!!!