Friday, March 19, 2010

MUCHO BIG FRIDA PAINTING and MI AMIGO BERNARDO ...

Last fall, I had a request from a customer to do a BIG Frida Kahlo y Las Flores de la Muerte canvas painting for her.

I decided to paint two of them and to keep the second one for our house. I never seem to be able to keep original artwork to decorate my own walls and never find the time to do commissioned art for moi.

I just do not have the space for it at the moment with all these renovations we are into and rather than put it aside until the right spot is freed and at the risk of breaking it while it is stored, I have decided to sell it.

It is bold and colorful and wild !

It is painted on a 24" x 30" gallery canvas and it is ready to be mounted on your wall. And it looks SUPER DOOPER OUTATHISWORLD FANTASTIC at this size!

I am offering it on eBay right now, if you want to take a chance and bid on it and it is also offered on Etsy at a fixed price, if you do not want to miss the chance to own it and you want it right now!

And on top of this, the owner will have the choice to leave it as is or I can add glitters or micca to each of the skulls in the painting to make it more funky!

I wish I could work on this size of canvas more often, it is so much fun!

***********************

Well, I guess you know by now that I have an ongoing love affair with Mexico.

I visited this country many times, I drove my old pickup truck twice from Southern Quebec to the Yucatan peninsula then criss-crossed the country from East to West, South to North.

I just love Mexico !

Love its people, its landcapes, its art, its history, its colors ...

It's been two years now since we last spent some time there and I miss it so ...

In March 2008, we took the plane in direction of the land of the mayas with our son Ulysse with whom we wanted so much to share our affection for this precious part of the world. We spent two weeks in Tulum, Yucatan, in the same little cement cottage we rented so many times during our prior visits on the coast of the Carribean Sea.

Despite big changes happening throughout the years, the spirit of this little paradise had not been spoiled. The palms trees looked better and taller, the nature was still intact, the village had grown and become much more commercial. But the ocean was as beautiful, the people still real and friendly, the accent of the language as charming, the magic was still intact ...

The room was simple, with two double-beds and a bathroom. I slept out on the porch in a hammac every single night we spent there, guarded by a few errand dogs and an iguana trio.

We walked, we fished, we met old and new friends. We swam and played so much in the waves that our skin shrank just like after a too-long bath.

We visited with old families we had met a while ago, Ulysse got spoiled by the abuelitas (grand-mothers) during a sumptuous meal one night, we stuffed our face on our daily visit to the pandaria (bakery). Ah! the smells of the fruits in the markets, of the fish cooking in a pit on the beach, of the fresh coconuts Ulysse opened each morning and that we nibbled on as the day stretched forever...

Ah! Mexico, mi amor!

Early at dawn, we would walk all three of us, fishing gear in hand, towards a point that was a favorite among local fishermen.

We did a lot of beachcombing on our way and on one of these excursions, we noticed a bunch of mean looking birds quarelling for a bit of food that had washed ashore. As we got nearer, they flew away and left their treasures. One of the birds came back furious at our intrusion, flew near our heads to scare us but as he screamed out of his beak fell this tiny little creature ...

A hermit crab !

Poor little fellow had survived his deadly kidnapping!

Ulysse held him in his hand and brought him back to our room. We kept him in a little bowl with daily fresh water and fruit pieces and marvelled at the details of his tiny body. We named him Bernardo, very appropriate since the name in French for a hermit-crab is a Bernard l'hermite.

When came the time to take the bus to the airport to fly back home, we decided to take him with us. Ulysse did not want to abandon him. So, I hid him in a little zippered pouch in my shoulder pouch and he crossed the borders twice without any problems.

We offered him a nice little condo in Frelighsburg, with authentic salty sand that we brought also from the beach), seashells of all kinds in case he got in the mood for a bigger appartment, fish flakes, veggies and fruits as well as proper heat and light ...

Two years have gone by since we first met our little mexican crustacean friend and believe it or not, he is still living happily with us. Ulysse promised him that next time we go to Mexico, we will take him back with us to his native country.

But we learned sadly yesterday that the little turquoise cottage we called our Yucatecan heaven is no longer. The place has been torned down and will soon be the site of a more ritzy private resort ...

I am telling you, friends, paradise on heart is shredding at a vertiginous speed.

Hurrry up, take your kids with you and travel a bit around the world before all of it is gone for good ...

10 comments:

Sophia said...

Hey...maybe you should leave it hanging outside in the nice weather. It looks GREAT out there!! :)

And wow, what beautiful photos. I am SO READY for a vacation. Hopefully in June. :)

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Ah, the large Frida is spectacular! I am sure she will find a good home......the colors, the size; beautiful!
Viva Frida!
Viva LuLu!!!

XXOO!!
Anne

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS painting!!! Thanks for sharing all those lovely photos from your vacation. How sweet that you saved that sweet little hermit crab and then gave him a nice new home!!! Perhaps there will be a wonderful new place for you to stay the next time you visit.
Theresa

Siem said...

Wow, love your style! Really great art, wich makes me very, very happy! My compliments!!!

Visit me at my blog if you like.

Love from the Netherlands.
Simone

Flor Larios Art said...

Todo muy lindo! la Frida, las fotos de mexico, y el angelito nuevo tambien!
Un beso,
Flor

Campbell Jane said...

This piece is wonderfully whimsical. I love it!
PS My walls are bare too, seriously, almost completely bare!

Rina said...

I love your art!!! great blog...will be visiting from now on...take care!!!

B.J. von Schneyder Art said...

BEAUTIFUL Frida painting, I totally love it!

The photos from mexico are amazing, what a great place to stay. The hermit crab is fabulous. You find me anvious you´ve been there! :)

oldblackcatboo said...

Wow! the Frida painting is Marvelous!
Your photos of Mexico have me wanting a vacation! I haven't been on one for years...and now I have a serious case of cabin fever.
Thanks for the visual vacation!

Janine said...

You showed us some gorgrous photos.
I love the one, with your painting and the bullscull on the chair.
Have a great day
Janine