Monday, November 2, 2009

MY OFRENDAS FOR DIA DE MUERTOS ...

While my son Ulysse was gone trick or treating with his friends at the village I kept busy on Halloween night. First, I got myself a super GIANT box of good-quality assorted chocolates, second, I dressed up in my favorite flannel pyjamas then I started applying the 4 coats of satin varnish on the 30 small-size prints I had mounted on black wooden blocks (made with recycled wood from the local woodmill).

I watched 3 horror movies while doing this

The Tennant
(with Roman Polanski)

The Fly
(not the Goldblum version but the real old one where
a fly with a human face is caught in a spider web at the end)

and The Shinning
(who doesn't know this movie)

I left my paint brushes at 4 a.m. to go to bed with a chocolate overdose, eyes coming out of their sockets and ears sore from all that screaming and howling.

Yesterday morning, the sun rays were warming the kitchen table where I had left all these tiny prints and they looked so lovely and bold and funky, they looked like jewels out of treasure box!

I am so happy with the results !

They can be mounted on a wall in an arrangement

and they also stand up and look pretty on a shelf with some other favorite trinkets

I will be listing them Wednesday,
November 4, 2009
in my Etsy shop at 10 p.m. Eastern Time !
(that is 9 p.m. Central Time)
(8 p.m. Mountain Time)
(7 p.m. Pacific Time)
(and 11 p.m. Maritime Time)

(sorry I had to delay listing to Wednesday
but tomorrow is parent's meeting night
at my son's school)

30 different prints mounted on wooden blocks,
measuring 4" x 4", 4 1/2" x 4 1/2", 3" x 5" and 4" x 5"
with a few exceptions.

I think they would make wonderful Christmas gifts or stocking stuffers !

First come, first served !

Oh! and before I forget ...

HAPPY DIA DE MUERTOS !

16 comments:

glorv1 said...

I just came online to read comments and noticed you had just posted so I rushed over here like the good little follower that I am and read your wonderful post. I love the little black wooden blocks mounted with your paintings. Ayeeeeee! They are so so so very awesome. Thanks for posting about Dia De Los Muertos. I might go to your Etsy tomorrow,but your time is different than mine so I'm not sure when 12:00 is here at your time. I could look it up, but I get lazy to do things like that. hehehe. Well I better go, I'm going to the college where they are having a DIA celebration with lots of food. Take care and great post.

Lisa said...

These are wonderful! I love little paintings on wood and have a huge colletion all 3x2 or 3x5. they are so much fun to have and display.

glorv1 said...

Oh you said Eastern time...that would be 3 hours ahead...so ummmm lets see....that would be 9am over here in Pacific time, correct? I think it is.....Take care.

Dream With the Fishes said...

These are beautiful! I always adore your work. I wanted to give you a heads up that the link to your Etsy shop in this post goes to the wrong page because Etsy is misspelled. I know lots of folks will be wanting to go get themselves one! A Happy and Blessed Dia de Los Muertos!

Kelly Lish said...

These are beautiful treasures! Isn't it crazy how we can get in the zone like that and just keep going, going , going! Good for you! I know you will sell every single one!

Sophia said...

Wow...you kept yourself busy last night just like myself! We rock! :) hee hee LOVE your blocks. Beautiful artwork.

noodle and lou said...

sounds like a wonderful halloween lulu!! just seeing the photo from The Shining sends shivers down my spine. scariest movie everrrrrr!!!! your block prints turned out lovely and it is so cool that the wood is salvaged from an old wood mill!!

happy week to you! xox...jenn

America Alcala said...

Gorgeous work as always! I love how bright and cute they look! :)

Michelle Eaton said...

They all look GREAT!

Sounds like you had a great night also. I don't know any of those movies though. I will have to check them out sometime.

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

I just read your post awesome awesome!!! These look so breath taking - I love them all.

Gush you have the courage to watch horror movies - I'm so scared of them!! I tried watching one but I just can't. I'm into actually Tim Burton type of movies and fantasy movies as well oooh and Vampire movie yeah!! Anyways, your work is beautiful!!

priti.lisa said...

They do look like jewels...They are so pretty, I hope to get one,
fingers crossed!

That devil's carrot is unbelievable.

xox, Lisa

snippetgirl said...

Oh, Lulu, I LOVE the prints on the wooden blocks!!!! I just marked my calendar for 10:00 on Wednesday night! It's a date! I hope i can score one or a few of these wonderul treasures.
xoxo
Carrie

Julie said...

The wood block prints are so sweet! Looks like a lot of work. : )

Kim Mailhot said...

Hi Lulu ! It is good to be back visiting you and seeing all the exciting stuff happening in your neck of the woods. These little prints on the blocksa re beautiful ! I love how they look gathered together too ! And you Gothic Angel was so beautifully goth !
Glad to know that life is treating you and your family well. I will be back to get more news soon.
Cheers !

Aditi said...

Hi Lulu,
Thanks for letting me know about the blocks! They are gorgeous and just in time for my series on handmade Christmas gifts. I am sure they will be gone in no time!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

These are exceptional and should fly out of your Etsy store faster than it took to make them!!
I do so love your work, your style. It makes my heart happy! :)

XXOO!!
Anne....who totally missed Dia De Muertos due to work, work, work.....PHOOEY!