Saturday, October 24, 2009

BYE BYE GIRLS ...

Dahlias ...

I love Dahlias ...

They are just my kind of flowers ...

Bold ...

Dramatic ...

Colorful ...

Intense ...

Joyful ...

I start them early in March, simply plant the tubers saved from the previous Summer in flats with a bit of soil. By the time Spring has arrived for good, they stand tall and solid and are almost ready to flower.

And what a show they give !

They keep on flowering from June 'till late October.

I love visiting them early each morning with a cup of coffee in hand. It is like visiting a bunch of old girl friends.

I compliment them on the color of their dress ...

I marvel at their unusual hairdo ...

I even get jealous at their perfection ...

Each year, a new girl or two join the group of gossipers ...

Everyone is welcomed !

Rain or shine, they keep an eye on what's happening in the garden ...

I just adore them !

Then, one morning in fall, I walk to the garden for my daily visit to find out ...

the girls have gone in a deep sleep ...

Southern Quebec is too cold for them !

They have literally disapeared !

So I dig the bulbs, clean them up and dry them near the stove. Then I pack them in wood shavings in boxes and put them away 'till next March.

When the girls will wake up with the first song of the robins ...

Dahlias are snow-birds. You know they just don't dig winter ...

Wonder why I like them so much ?

18 comments:

julie Haymaker thompson said...

Your art is simply adorable and your flowers are the BEST in show!!!

julie Haymaker thompson said...

Your art is simply adorable and your flowers are the BEST in show!!!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Oooooooo....they were so exceptionally beautiful!!! I loves all of them, and hope they make as beautiful a return to your garden next Spring!
In the meantime, you have lovely potos.... :)

XXOO!!
Anne

aliceinparis said...

What a wonderful cheery post! Dahlias really put on a great show. Love that HUGE yellow one at the end.

Daisy236 said...

Lov'in the post...I think I was a Dahlia in a former life!

Sonia ;) said...

LuLu they are amazing and huge....How cool they are..would die in the Texas heat here.

Janine said...

Your Dahlias are really outstanding.
Wow, you have greenfingers, haven´t you?

priti.lisa said...

Hi LuLu!
Thank you for this post, I had dahlias one year...never knew to dig them up! I blamed the chipmonks and moles for eating them as they did my irises and tulips. I will grow them next spring. And dig them up!
I agree they are th most beautiful of flowers ( only to be outshown by that sweet boy )
xox, Lisa

Pamela Holderman said...

Oh I love the way you write - always gives me a big smile... and oh those dahlias - I killed all of ours in the too wet soil, but I am happy yours love it at your place, at least until the time to sleep!

Sophia said...

Wow...beautiful flowers..and what an incredible garden! Makes me miss the garden I had to leave behind a few states over several months back now.

Have a great week!

oldblackcatboo said...

I know just how you feel!
Your flowers are so great!!!
I sometimes think that the cold weather comes just so that I will go inside and create something!

Georgina said...

How lovely!! And quite sad that they have to sleep, but that's part of life's cycle. What a way to welcome Spring...something to look forward to in a few months. Thank you for the show...made my morning.

glorv1 said...

Ooooh Lulu, those Dahlia photos are amazing. You take such great pictures. Every picture tells a story and yours really do. Thanks for sharing.

Pease Porridge said...

Beautiful! Just gorgeous!
Jennifer

The Vintage Sister said...

Your garden is absolutely beautiful Lulu!!

Bon said...

I must be a Dahlia. I definitely don't dig winter.
The photography of these blooms is soooo fabulous.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful, big life.
Bon

Cris Melo, of MeloEarth.com said...

Lulu!!!!!! It was so nice to have your visit this AM. I'm such a flake, I forget to visit wonderful blogs such as yours. Or is it that I have too much on my plate as it is and, to complete the picture, am totally bad at discipline? I hang out on Facebook the most these days...my current drug, one might say.

Well, then I come over to thank you and read this wonderful post about flowers, and in it there's a great definition of the person you are, and you also write so well, and take the best pics. So much fun, so uplifting (the hairdo/g-friends analogy was too much!)!

You are a wonderful fun soul and your art reflects that perfectly.
Thank you, and a big hug!

Oh yeah, like your dahlias I die a little in winter. I can't stand it already. But I'll do my best. :)

Candylei said...

Your dahlias look healthy and don't they really put on a show all summer and fall? I love them, too!