Wednesday, July 29, 2009

BEAUTIFUL SAINTE-ANNE ...

We woke up today with a perfect summer sunny day so Ulysse and I decided to go hunting for rocks and seaglass in Vermont's Lake Champlain isles.

We love driving there, the road is pretty and quiet, and before you reach the lake you go through a wonderfully peaceful and beautiful wildlife sanctuary.

Our favorite of all the isles is Isle LaMotte. There you can find the perfect mixture of pure countrystyle Vermont mixed with family-cottage by the lake atmosphere. You can find a nice assortment of seaglass on the shore and if you forget about where you are on the map, you could think you are one the ocean.

And, above all, Ste-Anne is there waiting for you ...

Isn't she beautiful, in her gold-leaf attire, in the light of late-afternoon?

She stands still, facing the water, all year-round. People come to pray in the outdoor chapel erected there, go to mass on Sunday or, like me, simply marvel at the beauty of Anne and at the turmoil a simple statue can create in one's heart ...

We had a splendid afternoon, mother and son together, finding a nice piece of red seaglass (I mean, lakeglass), big perfectly shaped granite rocks, a bleached bird skull and a old rusty piece of farming tool. We dove off the long deck and swam in the calm water before the sun went down.

And just before returning to the car to drive back home, we stood side by side, near Samuel de Champlain and a Mowak in a canoe statue, wondering how it must have felt for the natives to see, a long time ago, these big sailboats arrive with strangers who would change their future forever ...

11 comments:

glorv1 said...

What a great way to spend a day. All these beautiful memories you are making for your son and of course you.
One day he will say to you (if he hasn't already), Mom, did I ever tell you what an amazing mom you are?
Thanks for the fun tour of your day. Have a great weekend.

Flor Larios Art said...

Wow! I love Ste Anne in gold...great photo for inspiration...
Merci LuLu
Flor

Caitlin said...

No, I have sadly not gotten a haircut yet! I thought I would have enough extra money, but then I had to pay for some car repairs. At any rate, I love your posts and will surely be stopping by often!
-Caitlin

noodle and lou said...

looks like a delightful day lulu:) i especially love that photo of the long dock! lots of xoxo...jenn

Michelle said...

I love your pictures of Vermont. I spent all of my summer vacations in upstate NY with cousins growing up and taking the ferry across Lake Champlain was always such a wonderful adventure for my brothers and I when we were kids!

Michelle :)

jean benabou said...

That sounds like a most wonderful and memorable day.............
Such wonderful little treasures to tuck away....

The Vintage Sister said...

Beautiful day Lulu! It's so nice to have one on one time with the boys:)
I love your new little kitten...very cute! I would love to have the space to be able to take in so many animals. You are very lucky, and the animals are too!
Tracy

Candace said...

Fantastic post which lends so much to the imagination. I wonder too what it must have been like for the people on both sides of that story -- "there goes the neighborhood" -- and "WOW, this is even better than we had hoped for!"

Beautiful Sainte-Anne and what a very wonderful way to spend the day for you and for your boy. What wonderful times he's having now.
Thank you for sharing this too.
Candace in Athens.

Agnes said...

Dear Lulu, I was so very lucky to receive one of your prints as a present from my daughter, just so wonderful. Her blog is http://yarn-ing.blogspot.com. Love it, Agnes from Ottawa.

bLu eYd YoGi said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!
xo.
e.

bLu eYd YoGi said...

hello beautiful! just popping in to SPREAD THE LOVE ~
~HUGS~ & INSPIRATION ~
xo.
e.