Wednesday, May 27, 2009

THANK GOD FOR RAINBOWS ...

BANG !

Everything happened at the same time !

All within a few weeks !

I drove to Montreal for a nice illustration assignment with a publishing house and when I returned to my car, someone had broken the window and stolen my very-well-hidden-under-a-blanket laptop ...

In the same week, my dad who got operated for an hernia had complications that caused massive bleeding and left him in intensive care at the hospital for a few days ...

Two days later we had mortality in the family and had to fly abroad to offer support and take care of certain personal matters. We were gone for 9 days ...

When I got back home, I did not feel right at all. My ear was ringing, I felt dizzy and had trouble walking straight. Turned out I had a labyrinthite (not sure the spelling is right), an infection of the inner ear that makes you feel totally unstable and shaky. The doctor ordered complete rest for a week and to tell you the truth I couldn't have done much any way, I felt like if I had ridden for hours one of those spinning rides at the amusement park after having drank an entire bottle of Extra-Strength caughing syrup mixed with a few good shots of tequila. I just felt awful !

BUT ...

Everything has an ending, even a strike of bad luck.

I feel much better now and am back to normal or almost. Got myself a brand new laptop (once again), thank God I was well insured. Dad is doing great and his operation is healing very well. The publishing house just called today to let me know my art was chosen among 10 other illustrators' for a big serie of scholar books, so today was my first day back at work in my studio.

I have been gardening like crazy, trying to find a place of the tons of plants I grew from seeds in my half-way house (that is how we call my semi-greenhouse). I am also completely redoing the garden with new raised beds and pathways.

Ulysse has a spot of his own in the vegetable patch and he is also growing a miniature corn field that he will take care of, like a real farmer, with his own tools he bought with his own money. Every night, after supper, I walk the dogs while he skates his way down the mountain under the sunset du-jour.

The frogs and toads are doing their amphibian thing in the pond, I so enjoy their sounds and their presence!

The lilacs are blooming with a vigor we haven't seen in years, so are the apple, pear and plum trees.

The ferns are so green !

And the bleeding-hearts !

The light in the morning is so beautiful !

This is such a perfect spring !

And I am so happy to be back chatting with you, dear friends!

And to all who have been inquiring about it, YES! I will have new paintings for sale soon!

YOUPPI ! I AM BACK ! I AM BACK !

21 comments:

Jenn said...

bonjour lulu!! I'm so sorry to hear about all the yuck you've been going through!! Especially the loss in your family.
What a beautiful retreat your sweet home is though. The photos of your blooming yard and gardens are just gorgeous! Just a magical place:):) I'm happy your are feeling better and can't wait to see more pics of your new plantings...AND paintings:):)

xox...jenn

Sharon said...

So glad you are better and that your luck has also turned the corner.Those inner ear things can really play havoc with your system. Take care. Sharon

Gail said...

And we are soooo glad to see you back! Your flowers are wonderful, my lilac and bleeding heart have already been and gone, such is the british climate! Looking forward to seeing some new art.

Gail x

jean benabou said...

It sounds like you have had quite an adventure!
I am glad to see your cloud had a silver lining and everything is getting back to its proper order.
Congratulations on your illustration assignment!

Kelly said...

Sorry to hear about all the rough stuff you've been going through.
You are so right--even the bad patches have an end to them.
And if it wasn't for the rain (rough stuff) how would we fully appreciate the beauty of the rainbow (good stuff)?
Your pictures are gorgeous; make me want to get into my garden and do more than just tame weeds...

Jo said...

Good Morning! I've been following your blog for awhile now and was happy to see that you're back! I'm so sorry to hear about all the bad luck you're had but isn't it funny how those times make us appreciate the little things in life that much more? I love your pics... we have a cottage that needs siding on it and I've absolutely fell in love with your garden shed. I think you've given me the ispiration to do something similar.

Thanks for sharing:)

Joella
oneartsychick.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Glad you are back. So sorry for the bad times. Condolences and congrats are both in order. Happy you are feeling better. Have enjoyed seeing Ulysses go from knitting to so many other things. Beautiful pictures. Take care of yourself. Best wishes to all of you and yours. Susan

Kim Mailhot said...

Re-bienvenue, Lulu ! It is good to have you back !
I am sorry there was such a bumpy patch in the road for you ! Thank Goodness that everything has fallen back into place. I think it is because you so such a good job at keeping a balance in your day to day life that when things get rough, you have strength saved up to get you through. You and your sweet life are very inspiring !
Congrats on the illustration deal ! That is wonderful !
Enjoy the spring growth !

snippetgirl said...

OH my gosh, i had been wondering what happened to you!!! I had a feeling that something was going on. I am just glad that things have settled down now. I sure did miss your magic :). As usual, your photos are stunning and glorious. Those bleeding hearts are amazing!! What a gorgeous place you live in.
Congrats on the publishing news!! You certainly deserve it. Your art is simply fabulous and original like YOU!
xoxo
Carrie

Diane Duda said...

I was wondering what had become of you!
Sorry about the bad turn of events, but glad that things are returning to normal. And congratulations on the book(s)!
Your garden looks beautiful and that's the best rainbow photo ever!

xo
di
...give-away at my place if you want to swing by. :)

Georgina said...

Lulu,

So glad you're back and the Universe is once more balanced for you. I do love your garden and envy you for having the ability to do such things. Out here in the desert, we have a few problems...lots of sun, but a little too hot!! LOL We're growing tomatoes, jalapenos, and various herbs...desert friendly stuff. Anyway, congrats on you being chosen for the illustrations and please, please continue to take care of yourself and sending out good thoughts to your family.

Abrazos,
Georgina

aliceinparis said...

Oh my, when it rains it pours! But yes, there is always a rainbow waiting for you.
I had labyrinthitis once and it was HORRIBLE! I know what you went through and that on top of everything else, whew, you probably needed that rest.
Congrats on the assignment! Enjoy Spring!

glorv1 said...

Every cloud has a silver lining. Sorry about all your downs, but the ups seem to be great. I'm glad you are better and your dad too and your garden is great. Mine is doing good too. Lulu, most times things happen for a reason, but we always try to move on ahead and look at you, your illustrations were accepted among 10 others, your gardening and life is good again. You go girl! Take care.

Tess said...

Oh my you did have a round of bad luck. Ahhh, but it makes the good so much sweeter, does it not?! So gald you are feeling better and loved the pics you shared. Congrats on the publishing deal.

REB Art Studio said...

I love that chicken!

tascha said...

I'm sorry to hear you've been going through a rough patch.
I myself have been dealing with an inner ear issue for six years now. If you need anyone to talk to about it, let me know. I've studied everything there is to know about inner ear conditions.
I hope you are all better.
Hugs!

Silke said...

Lulu, I just found your blog and am so glad I did. Your art is beautiful - so happy! Sorry to hear you had such a run of bad things happenings, but glad you and your dad are both doing better! Your photos are stunning!!! :) Silke

pinkglitterfae said...

thank goodness that bad spell is gone, doesn't it just seem like everything happens all at once?
I am so happy things are much better for you.
Here's to hoping for a lovely season!

America Alcala said...

Hello Lulu, I am so glad that you are back...I have missed your art very much.:) I am so sorry about your bad luck but I am very happy to hear about you being picked to be an illustrator, also your home is absolutely beautiful! :)

The Itsy Bitsy Spill said...

Blessings!! Sorry this happen to you. Lots of sunshine your way. It's raining here but I'm loving it.

Janine said...

I hope everythings is going to be allright now.
Have a good weekend
Janine