Thursday, April 16, 2009

HEAVY METAL MINNIE MOUSE ...

Early after supper yesterday night, I decided to clean up my garden shed.

As you must know by now, I am a keeper and saver of all kinds of refused-by-others treasures. I constantly hunt for old rusted metal objects, tools, nuts and bolts as well as utensils, washing machine buttons and bed springs.

Just before the first snowstorm last fall, I had found a bunch of knick-knacks in the back of an old shop and decided to store it for a future project. And yesterday, I found it and there, at that exact moment, I knew I had to do something with it ...

The old heart-shape cake pan was seated on two large rusted coffee can covers et voilà ! a mouse head started to take shape !

I just love the magic that happens when you start assembling things that were not meant to be put side by side. I get possessed by an internal creative devil, I stop thinking rationally and simply glue one piece of junk to another than another on top, and oh ! yes! what about this one glued here?

Then, when the creation is done, I stop vibrating, put my clothes back on, tie my wild hair back in a bun and start breathing again.

How do you call such a creative process

It took about 3/4 of an hour for Heavy Metal Minnie Mouse to come alive and I just love her!

See how many discarded pieces you can spot in this sculpture?

Oh! that was fun ! Gotta do it again soon!

Upcycling, this is what it is all about !

9 comments:

snippetgirl said...

So fabulous and super clever! I LOVE recycling cast offs into wonderful new creations.

Just wanted to let you know that i gave you a little blog award. Hop on over if you get a chance.

Happy Friday!!!
xoxo
Carrie

Gail said...

WOW! That is so clever - I hope you have displayed her as she deserves to be seen :-)

Tess said...

I love this happy little mouse. I counted 16 items, I think! Upcycling, now that may just be my new favorite word. :-)
A question, what glue did you use?

Georgina said...

Lulu,

I love it!!! I too never throw anything away, much to my husband's chagrin. However, some of my treasures used to be in my mother or grandmother's home, so I just don't want to make changes, but the way my stash is growing, I'm going to have to do something or will have build another room in the house!!

I agree Mexico is a lovely country; it's the home of my family. Unfortunately, right now the cartels are in control, especially here on the border. All this violence prevents me from going over there to shop, eat and just take in the scents, colours, and chaos I grew up with when I would stay with my grandparents and go to the "mercado" or spend the day with my mother while she went to the hair salon and later visit my grandparents and go shopping...so many wonderful memories. I miss it so.

Abrazos,
Georgina

DEB said...

This is so darling! I see metal, and I think of tetanus, but your sculpture is delightful!

Anonymous said...

Your mouse is fantastic. I love upcycled art.

Jody

visionquest2020@msn.com

jean benabou said...

That really is so fun and cute!

Dida said...

"Heavy Metal Minnie Mouse" is mind blowing....
it is such a green project...
and it looks soo cool...
absolutely wonderful...

dida

Kim Mailhot said...

What fun ! The wonderful thing is that though this metal masterpiece is a new medium for you, Lulu, you can still see your wonderful whimsy and sweet Lulu style shining through. Very cool upcycling !