Monday, February 16, 2009

PAINTING A LA MEXICANA ...

SOLD !!!

Painting always brings me a lot of pleasure ...

I fill sketch books with drawings and ideas on a daily basis. Some drawings are ready to jump on a canvas, others need to ripen on my pinboard. And some others are filed in one of the numerous 3-ring red binders that I keep around in my studio that I consider my brain's drawers.

Yesterday, I dug in one of those drawers and found a little sketch of Frida I had drawn in Mexico, last year, while we were on vacations. And it feels like a little window opened in my soul and a mild breeze from the Yucatan ocean blew in...

I listened to some Tito Puentes Cuban Salsa full-blast, took out my box of favorite bold and torrid (love that word !) colors and had tons of fun painting this little Frida y Las Mascaras de la Vida. I particularly like how the background's greenish-turquoise color came out, a bit toned like a semi-precious stone and how you can see one of her eyes through the devil mask. All done in the vibrant Mexican colors I love so much!

Frida y Mascaras is available on eBay in my Etsy store if you want it and you want it now.

Let's see ... which mask should I wear tomorrow? My mischievous devil mask or my sweet angel mask?

Oh! Mexico! I miss you so ...

14 comments:

tascha said...

Ohhh I really love this one! The way her eye is in the eye hole of the mask! Fantastic!

Diane Duda said...

I love it too! My new favorite. :)

snippetgirl said...

Amazing!! I love that you found inspiration from a special trip.

Jenn said...

SO lovely lulu!! I always enjoy your Fridas so much!! I loved the photo of your son playing the guitar in the last post too:) Isn't it nice to be serenaded:) My husband plays the guitar. He bought me a guitar many years ago and tried to teach me. It was hopeless;) But I do love listening to him play! :):) Happy week...xox

DEB said...

I really like all your bright colors...What a great blog!

marianne said...

this is an adorable painting! I am always so thrilled to visit your blog and see your new beautiful work. Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog.. its good to know that people like you stop in and appreciate.. hope spring will visit you soon LuLU! Marianne

Cris Melo, of MeloEarth.com said...

Hi Lulu! I just came to say hi. I need to stay off the fun side of the Internet today. Been bad lately...

hugs!

sUz said...

hi LuLu!
She's fabulous! Love the masks.
iN jOy,
sUz

glorv1 said...

I love those bright colors Lulu. It is neat the way she is holding up her mask and you can see her eye through it. Have a great evening.

Sacred Yoli said...

She is magical!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

La Mexicana is WONDERFUL!!!! all those delicious colors dancing about! It just makes me so very happy! I am so sorry about you car, but please know that I totally understand. I've had cars that gave me trouble as well. I hope it's not to bad my friend. Thanks ever so much for the kindness you have shown me Lulu. You are truly a because soul. Hugs and kisses my friend. Thanks again.

Simply This and That said...

She's beautiful. ;o) ooxx`jodi

aliceinparis said...

Hooray for torrid colours! I am craving colour in a big way. We have another storm headed here and soon all will be a curtain of white.
cheers, Shelagh

Anonymous said...

This is an absolutely gorgeous Frida.

I love it! I just found your art and have been enjoying it. :D

Just one thing. Tito Puente is (was :() Puerto Rican via New York.

A good suggestion for some really Mexican Mexican music- good for listening to while painting- is Paquita la del Barrio. Tawdry! Brazen! I think you'd love it.

Elaina