Sunday, November 2, 2008

HIBERNATING ON EL DIA DE MUERTOS ...

Today is the day to celebrate the departure of our loved ones for a better world, hopefully. The tendency here is to think of them sadly and mournfully ... But in Mexico, this day is joyful and happy, a day to remember all the good things about them, how happy they made us, how much we loved and were loved by them. If nothing else, today is a day to sit in a bright and sunny spot and look at the pictures we have of the people we loved that have now passed away, of when we were kids, friends, on vacations, in happy moments. Today is the day to remember how much we miss them. And if you think hard enough about them, you will get once again this warm feel-good spot in your heart they brought you when they were alive ...
I love and miss you my grand-mothers Alice and Gabrielle, my grand-fathers Paul and Ulrich, my mother-in-law Marie, my uncle Serge, my friends Manon and Guy ... I am so lucky you were part of my life ... And let's not forget all our animal friends, the companions that were part of our lives for a while, and that are no longer with us ... My dear feline and canine companions, our cats Muneca, Moogwai, Ti-Loup, Muli, Zoe, Pirouette and our dogs Pepita, Chili, Noiro and Dingo ...

Today was beautiful, cold and sunny day. The weather is supposed to warm up this week so the snow should melt all. But I will tell you, the beasts of the house have decided winter is here for good and no way they will fight their hibernating genes ...

I would need a giant pancake spatula to remove them from the beds where, or course, they are not supposed to sleep!

Life is tough for animals living in the cold, no doubt !!!

We sacrificed the Halloween pumpkin this afternoon, smash it to pieces and kept the best ones to bake pumpkin pies later this week. Ulysse roasted inthe fire pit outside the seeds he had kept when he carved it. He drizzled them with olive oil and sea salt and heated them until they POPped!

The sounds around all this preparation were exquisite! Pshhhhh! made the snow melting near the flames, Pop! went the seeds roasting and Shhhhh! scream the bit of oil in the pan. While in the background, the blue jays were singing! Pepitas! Pepitas! We all love Pepitas!

I am working on so many paintings at a time, I will go nuts soon ! But I am having so much fun! I should have 2 or 3 new paintings on eBay and Etsy this week !

7 comments:

sweetmango said...

You know Lulu...I love my life and I am happy....but I always feel like I am part of your family when you write these entries on your blog and I want to be there with you!!! Isn't it funny :)
I love pumpkin seeds but I have never tried Popped Pumpkin seeds...YUM!!
xxsm

Giggles said...

You can pop pumpkin seeds...that's so cool I have only ever roasted them. I love them though. Your darlings in the bed...just adorable.Reminds me of how much I have loved my now deceased dogs over the years.....so sweet!

Hugs Giggles

glorv1 said...

I just love the way your family members of dog and cats are snuggled in bed. That is so great. My dogs have their own bed, blankets, and pillows. Can you believe that? They do. Enjoy your week.

bLu eYd YoGi said...

hey Lulu! your animals are adorable! and i see some of your SNOW?! melted? i hope all is well in your corner of the world :)
i wanted to let you know about something super-fun! i am going to be hosting "blujaystudio christmas market" ~ it will be a full blog, where we gather as artists, & SELL our goodies ~ i will set it up ~ you email me photos & details of your work to sell~ you will put a "market" button on your blog~ to send your customers there~ as well as all of the other participating artists :)
100% of your sales go to YOU ~ i only ask a print of yours as a 'trade' for hosting~ and, if you want to (optional) donate a print & the proceeds wil go to charity :) (i haven't picked which one yet)~
The market will open Nov 15th & run till Dec 31st.
Let me know if you'd like to join us!
LOVE.
eRiCa

glorv1 said...

Thank you for your very nice comments on my blog and also for linking me. What fun. Take care.

Giulia Mauri said...

Oooh! Look at them! They are so sweet! Mmmh, pop pumking seeds, is a great idea! I shall try too!

dubuhdudesigns said...

What a gorgeous tribute! I can't believe I forgot to mention my pets as well and I think your tribute to them was just as sweet as that of your relatives! Your site is gorgeous..perfectly warm and bright !! A nice balance to the cold weather we are experiencing here too :)
That's what we missed this year/roasted pumpkin seeds!