Sunday, October 5, 2008

SOMEONE MURDERED OUR KING ...

We are all feeling so sad today ... Sad and ashamed and mad and desperate ...
For almost 5 years we were part of a kingdom. The beautiful, green, peaceful kingdom of the king of the forest. And what a king he was!

6 feet tall, 600 pounds, with hantlers as big as a the front of my car.

We would see him early in spring, walking along the road in the soft mud, chewing on newly grown weeds. We would sometimes be surprised by him all in a sudden, getting a glimpse of his majesty on a stroll in the wee hours of the morning or at sunset, posing in front of a magnificient sky. We would also hear him during the night, calling his lover who lives nearby, singing with a deep tenor voice the most lovely opera. Then, we would see him one last time in fall, cheewing on the last apples on the trees, getting ready for the harshness of the next season coming and for the arrival of hunting season.

We got the visit of the forest rangers this morning. They wanted to know if we had heard gunshots yesterday at sundown ... which indeed I did hear ...

Around 7 p.m. yesterday, poachers killed our king nearby our house, in the forest, chopped him in pieces on a plastic tarp, wrapped everything up and left on their 4-wheelers as fast as they could ... All they left was the stomach ...

I am feeling so bad and so sad because I did not hear 1 gunshot but 16 gunshots, one after the other ... They must have cornered him and simply assasinated him ...

There is no moose hunting season in this region simply because the number of animals is not high enough ... There was one beautiful moose on the Pinacle Mountain and he is no more because someone wanted to shoot himself a nice moose ...

If they ever find the person who did that, I would have the perfect way of taking care of him, even though I have absolutely no knowledge of taxidermy. His crowned head should be mounted on a piece of varnished wood marked "KING OF THE POACHERS" ...

I feel sad because we will never be able to witness such a noble beast nor hear his peaceful songs again ...

And I feel sad because I strongly believe that it is acts like this coward act towards other living creatures that will lead humankind to its end ...

12 comments:

Amy Sullivan said...

Oh LuLu~
reading this made me feel sick~sick all over~& angry~
what kind of monster does this!
so unkind~ so very, very wrong~

the beautiful king~

i just cannot understand this way of thinking.just grose.

i am so sorry~
oxoxoxox~Amy~

Diane Duda said...

This breaks my heart. I'm so sorry. :(

hugs,
Di

michelle said...

I am so sorry too. It makes me sick to my stomach too. All I can say is that I feel sure that someday, maybe not in this life but someday, those ugly people will be accountable for their ugly actions.

Kim Mailhot said...

It is so very very sad, Lulu...the things we do to this beautiful Earth and for what ? A trophy ? To conquer a kingdom ? To make us feel strong ?

The real strength lies in love, like the love you show your mountain spot by sleeping outside every night to share its beauty, love like in the gorgeous gardens you grow each year, and the love like you show your son everyday when you share the beauty and bounty of nature with him. And where there is love, there is hope...
Sometimes, hope is all we have...
Sharing your sadness, and sending hugs.

Peachy Cheek said...

Hi LuLu,

I am so sorry to hear this. It breaks my little hear to hear these horrors. Recently I read an article about the baby seal poachers and this reminded me of thos cruel acts that us human beings do to other beings...

Danita said...

Oh my.... I so despise hunting!!! It's not fair... I'm sorry this happens :(

RyoJul said...

Those people are horrid. 16 shots? They couldn't even give the poor animal his decency. They just straight up slaughtered him. It's just horrible imagining his fate. I hope they do find out who did this and punish him or them justly.

Susan said...

I grew up in a area where hunting during certain times of the year is accepted and expected. This is neither. This is such a sad post. I hope that they catch and prosecute the two legged animals that did this. Hugs to you and your family while you deal with this senseless killing. Susan

sweetmango said...

I always have to wonder at the heart of a person who can look such a beautiful peaceful animal in the eyes and pull the trigger. I wonder what it was in their life, more specifically in their family life that lead them to become so hard of heart. All babies are born innocent, it is their lives and lived experience that corrupt them. I feel for the loss of your mountain friend. I miss him too.
xxsm

Jennifer Roberson Williams said...

How horrible! I felt sick to my stomach as I read what happened. How can people do such a thing to such a beautiful creature?!?!

16 shots? What kind of cruel heart can look at a creature and shoot it 16 times? I hope they catch them. They need to be accountable for their actions.

Jenn said...

Lulu...I feel ill.
What a beautiful creature.
I will NEVER understand how
a "person" (and I use the term
very lightly..more like a monster)
could do something like this. Hunting makes me sick.

sweet, sweet king.
I will mourn for him with you!!!

Cris Melo, of MeloEarth.com said...

Made me cry and I, too, believe in what you say in the end. I am not ashamed to say that I wish there were less people in the world, so that animals could have many places to live in peace.