Saturday, August 16, 2008

MY HUSBAND'S PASSION (BESIDES ME, OF COURSE) ...

Sometimes I look at the way we live and our surroundings and I am sure a lot o people must think we are crazy, or at least very weird.

My 11-year old son collects aluminium stuff and smelts it in his home-made special stove powered by an old hair-dryer, the mushroom-style one women used in the 60s to dry their rolled-up do.

I roam around, by foot or by car, hunting skulls and skeletons of road kills and I will add any piece of outstanding nature I can put my hand on in a new box in my studio.

My husband Francois has a passion of his own: old bicycles. I will grab them here and there, sometimes at the junkyard, some other times put aside on the road to be picked up by the trash truck. He especially loves the 70s style ones, the ones with the Mustang handle bars and the banana seat. Not that he is a sport addict of some kind or a collector of vintange transportation means. No...

Inspired by Picasso a long time ago, he transforms them into animal or human skulls. The handles become the horns or the crossed bones and the seat the skull itself. Many of his creations are displayed on the rough wooden wall outside of his work. He did it just for fun but has ended up selling quite a few.

We were all laughing today when the insurance inspector came over to appraise our "estate" (ohhh! I love this word, it sounds so mundane !!!). Ulysse was smelting some aluminum cans in his over outside of Francois's shop, right in front of a wall covered with bike-skulls (that is how we call these creations) while I was cleaning up some birds's skulls I found at the beach on our recent trip to Maine.

I am telling you... He had a weird look on his face when he quickly got back to his car....

9 comments:

sweetmango said...

Gosh I don't know how I missed this??? Never mind :) Tell your man that I think these 'skulls' are BRILLIANT!! They are so funky and original and such a clever, clever way of re-using...I am super impressed :) What an art inspired and inspiring family you have...good on you guys!

Lisa said...

I love hearing how other artists live...Our house has been named "the house of freedom" all 4 of us are creative in some way or another and people always seem to be happy here. A place where you can eat all sorts of yummy foods and make art : ) Thanks Pink Turtle.

Jenny said...

I love it. Amazing work. What thrifty people!

Estate does sound fabulous!

grittyartsstudio said...

Hi LuLu! I've been meaning to stop by and say hello...I went to the library the other day and I think you and your husband would just love one of the books I chose...It is called RECYCLED RE-SEEN FOLK ART FROM THE GLOBAL SCRAP HEAP...if you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.
Looks like you have a sweet life.
Thanks for sharing.
Jane

Heather said...

you're not weird! you're eclectic! Its awesome that you all are free to explore your own interests and can share them together. Thats wonderful!~

The Vintage Sister Studio said...

Oh Lulu, I love these sculptures! They are brilliantly simple and I love that old things are being used to make something new and creative! And I really, really love the fish prints. What a wonderful idea. Goldy is a lucky little fish:)
Tracy

JUNKER JANE said...

Oh man, I love these skulls :D The crossbones ones are brilliant!!!
I am still smiling from seeing these! :D You should send them tohttp://www.skulladay.blogspot.com/

~dani~ said...

I want that skull and crossbones one!! If it ever for sale-email me!!

Daisys Little Cottage said...

I love it I love it I love it !!! It's the "different" folk who make the world go round. I used to collect skulls too much to the embarrassment of my ex hubby who would cringe every time I pulled the car over to examine road kill for any good pickings. A walk in the woods required taking a small sack with me to hold any good finds...he called me the carnage collector. I love your hubbys art..it's great...looks wonderful on the wood fences. Must be fab to be married to someone who is artistic too.
smiles
DarLy*~