Monday, July 7, 2008

LAST FRIDAY, I MET ANGELS AT THE ZOO ...

It has been very busy the past few days. I have not even lifted a paintbrush nor turned on my laptop. And it has been very hot. And I like it all... Last Wednesday, my dad had an appointment with a doctor in Sherbrooke, which is about 2 hours away from where I live. He went with my mom for something pretty ordinary, no biggy, but it turned out he had a reaction to the procedure and had to be hospitalized in the emergency unit under tight observation. While doing the small surgery to his throat, they touched a vein with a needle and caused a local massive bleeding that almost prevented him from breathing. His neck swelled double its size and it was very painful. Very scary too. For him and for us... I drove to the hospital in a hurry, returned home, drove back again the day after with my mom to find out that he would be ok. What a rush! Then what a burden it lifted off our hearts. Dad does not need to go back to the hospital now, never would even be better. So, we took him back home and he is doing fine.

Friday, my sister-in-law Monique and the cousins Charlie and Jeanne came over for a visit and we all went to the Zoo de Granby and the Amazoo. The zoo is a terrific place to visit, improving each year its animals' habitat and it is simply beautiful. It is joined by the Amazoo, which is a swimming park with tropical settings, artificial beaches, a wave pool, a river where you can float on giant life-savers and more. We spent the day at the beach, had a pick-nick under false palm trees and all caught a wonderful tan. Around 4 p.m. we walked on bridges toward the zoo and toured it entirely, petting nurse sharks, marveling at snow leopards, viewing the games of the adorable meercats, laughing at the oh! so pink flamingoes scratching the bottom of the pond like our chicken, and so much more. Then, a miracle happened...

We entered a building and came face to face with a giant aquarium in which hippopotamus were swimming! And it was just marvelous and breathtaking! The way their place is build up they can be on land in a swell environment but they can also dive in a pond that has sides made of glass! I was like a kid, well, we all were, it was magical! Such a big animal, floating like a mermaid, light like a fairy, twirling through the water so close to us, we could have hugged them. And their eyes! And the way they looked at us underwater. They seemed to be so happy and were such entertainers! I could have stayed all day and watched them, the feeling it gave me was beyond anything I have experienced lately.

This sight on Friday afternoon glued a diamond on my heart that will shine forever. It was just so neat...

Saturday morning, we all drove through the US border, quite an experience for people not used to going through customs so small and so neighborly, and sat on Richford VT sidewalks to watch the 4th of July local parade. We had a great time and waved our US flag the best we could!

We spent the rest of the weekend by the pool, eating popsicles and by the fire the boys built at night eating marshmallows. My parents came to join us, we had a nice souper and we all slept outside Saturday night with zillions of stars to watch over us. We said goodbye to the gang yesterday night and feel so lucky to have spent such a nice few days en famille. Today was a slow day, hot, sticky, humid, just the way we like it when we need a reason to do nothing much because. All that to say, no new paintings nor art but tons of good feelings for inspiration. Tomorrow is another day, time to go to work!

Goodnight hippos, sleep tight my angels! I will never forget our meeting and will come back again soon...

7 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

This is a beautiful post, Lulu ! Isn't it amazing how we can connect so deeply with animals ? I love how you describe the hippos as mermaids or fairies, floating lightly... I have days where I have felt like a hippo fairy, a little round and bulky on land, yet oh so graceful in the water !;-) Vive l'ete !!!!!
(So glad your dad is okay ! Such scary stuff ! May your wish that he never have to go back to the hospital come true !)
A bientot ,
Kim

love.boxes said...

Scary. I'm so glad that your dad is OK.

Carolyn said...

The experiences you describe in your post are SO WONDERFUL, and the pictures INCREDIBLE!

So glad that your Dad is OK!

bLu eYd YoGi said...

hi LULU!!! I have a surprise for you!!! You know I always have a lovely time reading your posts...am giving you the WEBLOG AWARD ...come to www.blujaystudio.com and collect it! CONGRATULATIONS Love and hugs...e.

Susan said...

Beautiful post. So glad your Dad is ok. Thanks for waving your flag. Hugs.
Susan

ironbru1 said...

ooh! that made me remember my child hood memories at that zoo! thank you so much. It was the place my dad always took me! I now live on the west coast so it's been a long while.
love your blog and glad your dad is okay!

The Vintage Sister Studio said...

Lovely post Lulu. I know what you mean about the Hippos. We have an aquarium close by and the hippos swim and watch you in the glass. Isn't it amazing how graceful they are? It's like they are dancing.
Have a great summer!
Tracy