Saturday, June 21, 2008

MY NEW LOVE ...

I have tried for years to grow digitalis. I would marvel at their pictures in gardening books and magazine but despite all my trials, I was never successful. Last year, I got a packet of seeds from France and simply sowed them in a corner of the vegetable garden. They germinated and grew into tiny plants that soon grew into adult ones. I did not fuss over them, simply let them do their thing. I did not watch them, did not intimidate them. I did not even water them or fertilize them. And when fall came and I was supposed to transplant them to give them proper space to mature we had early snow and I had no time for it. Diditalis are bi-annuals, which means you sow them one year and the next they flower and then usually die.

Well, I was surprised to find out they had survived very well harsh weather and were the first to stand up in spring. I kept my fingers crossed that they would flower and they did! And the show is just breathtaking, they are astounding!!! Sowing seeds and watching the tiny seedlings grow into these dramatically showy flowers is a real miracle of nature.

Yes, just another miracle ...

5 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

Salut Lulu ! My God, those flowers are magnificent ! Definitely little pieces of God's art ! They look like clusters of orchids ! That pink is so vibrant. You definitely have a green thumb - maybe a whole green body ?!
Bravo, gardiniere extraordinaire !
Kim

Victorian Lady said...

Those are lovely!

Mere

Jenn said...

What a miracle indeed!!! I can't imagine a life without flowers in it. Beautiful photos Lulu!! Happy week to you:) xox...jenn

love.boxes said...

These are just stunning!

The Vintage Sister Studio said...

Beautiful flowers! I'm going to have to give them a try. Thanks!
Tracy