Tuesday, May 27, 2008

ST-JOSEPH AND THE EGG MYSTERY ...

Every time we get a few new pullets (or chickens), it takes a few weeks to find the eggs. Sometimes, they will lay right in the coop, taking the example from the older girls. Sometimes, they do not lay eggs for a while and we think something might be wrong with them. But this time, 3 weeks after the arrival of our 2 new white chicken, there were still no eggs...

When a chicken has laid an egg, she screams and tell the world about it. We heard them sing their opera. We followed them when the morning hour was right, expecting them to get ready to lay but nothing happened. We searched everywhere for them, in the strawberry beds, in the compost pile, under the garden bench, by the pond, in the woods but nothing...

This morning, coffee cup and shovel in hand, I went to the garden to view the dammage last night mild frost had left (yep! you read right! Frost !!!) and as usual Mr. Mikey the cat was waiting for me. But he was not seated on his favorite rock, this time but standing behind my St-Joseph marble statue and meowing. I went to pet him and what did I find?

Hidden in the high grass behind the statue, a dozen eggs were basking in the morning sun and dew...

Ohhhh, I like spring mornings more than anything else...

Yes, I know, I have shown any new paintings this week nor last week. I have been busy finishing all kinds of projects and painting like crazy! This is also my garden deadline, it needs to be finished by Sunday night. Everything planted, seeded, cleaned, mulched and trimmed. I will have great new paintings to show you next week, I promise!

6 comments:

Lee W. said...

wow- what a great story and lovely picture!!

love.boxes said...

I read the most interesting story about chicken recently. You know how everyone is trying to cut down on pesticides to save the bees and go natural and stuff. So, this vinyard owner was say the best and hardest working pesticide is a bunch of chickens.. just think how ahead of everything you all are!

amy said...

That is so funny! Your cat showed you the secret egg stash too. :)

bLu eYd YoGi said...

hi LuLu! i have been a fan of your art for quite awhile~ LOVE it!!! i was wondering if u'd be up for some fun? i paint you, you paint me, then we trade paintings!? i just did one with Tess, from youtube~ check out my site & let me know if you'd be interested!?
peace&love
erica
www.blujaystudio.com

Jenn said...

I received my seeds in the mail yesterday lulu!! Thank you so much!!! I hope you are having a fabulous weekend...full of all the things you love:):) xoxoxo...jenn

sUz said...

hi LuLu!

My seeds arrived - yippee! Thanks so much, it was a lovely treat.

Love your gardening and lilac posts. My family is from Rochester NY where lilacs rule. Just gorgeous!

Great pic!

iN jOy,
sUz