Monday, May 12, 2008

MOTHER'S DAY - THE DAY AFTER ...

Brrr! It is still quite chilly in the morning and at night for this time of the year but spring is sooooooo beautiful in Southern Quebec... The mountain is wearing a tender green suit of newly leafed maple, walnut and elm trees, the streams are so full and cold and clean and the fields are so bare with contrasting patterns of untouched soil beige with the remnants of last fall's wheat and corn and the newly tilled dark earth. And the beautiful sound of the red shoulder black birds...

Yesterday morning, as soon as I opened my eyes I had to open the Mothers' Day present Ulysse had made at school. He talked about it for days and, he is like me, a big baby when it is gift giving or receiving time. Ohhhh! a wonderfully painted wooden box with home-made vanilla and chocolate fondant! Miam! He had to taste it first to make sure it was still good. Right ....!!

My parents came over in the afternoon, we sat under the big pine trees in front of the house and close to the little pond I build last year. We ate warm apple pie I had baked in the morning with vanilla ice cream churned by moi! Delicious! We also had a fire burning outside in an old tamarack tree chopped trunk and it smelled like church incense. I am a professional smeller, I inherited that trait from my paternal grand-mother Gabrielle. She could smell what you had eaten the night before you went to visit her. I will detect smells when others don't, I can even taste in my mouth what things smell. And of course, a certain smell will remind me of a special place, or song, or old boyfriend, distant visited village in Europe or childhood toys and games...

I feel so lucky to have had the chance to become a mother and so blessed Ulysse is my son. He is a wonderful person and will always be, I am sure, as he travels through his life... Merci, Ulysse! I am the luckiest maman!

My mother has always been the best mom you could have! Always there for me, always encouraging and applauding of my bold moves and directions, talented in every field, from cooking to writing, from painting to sewing, from loving to loving...

Maman, tu es la plus belle du monde et la meilleure! Merci Maman!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

How lovely! Sounds like you had the perfect day:):):) xoxo...jenn