Monday, May 26, 2008

GRAPE POPSICLE PURPLE ...

I bet you can even smell it !

I love lilac season, the shades of pink, purple and white they flower in and their divine scent. My grandmother Alice who lived in Montreal had them all around the house and whenever I pedal my bicycle there for a visit, I would be driving back with a huge bouquet of lilac in my basket. The smell transports me in far away times and brings back all kinds of tiny bits of memories that please me and surprise me at the same time.

Just like when grand-maman Alice would let me open her musical jewell box...

I now grow them too all around my house so I can smell it through my studio while working. This deep purple one came from an abandoned farm house on the other side of the mountain that was built more than 100 years ago. I can just imagine the lady of the house smelling her wonderful lilac when they were in season and marveling at their color. Just like my grand-mother did, I do and hopefully my grand-daughter will do one day ...

3 comments:

love.boxes said...

I inherited a love of lilacs from my grandmother as well. Much of her home is lilac themed and purple. I just love it. Whenever she comes over she seems to waft the scent of lilac wherever she goes. :)

Diane Duda said...

Just stopped by to catch up. It looks so beautiful and spring-y where you are. Thanks for sharing all of the photos.
And congratulations to your exceptional 6th-grader!

xo
Di

Jenn said...

oooooh lovely lilacs!! I have the same reaction with gardenias. My Nanna loved them and I think of her and how she instilled such a love of gardening in me, everytime I smell them:) Happy weekend to you! xox...jenn