Wednesday, April 23, 2008

STRAWBERRY JAM AND GUACAMOLE ...

We slept outside again last night, under piles of blankets and an astonishly clear star-dusted black sky. Ahhhh! we love these early spring-almost-summer days. After this loooooong winter, these unexpected warm days put a balm on our freeze-burnt heart and soul...

I took a dive in the cold water of the pool after my first cup of coffee, made a batch of strawberry jam with the Florida berries I got at the grocery store yesterday (I could not wait till June for the local ones, it is summer now !!!) and made a BIG bowl of guacamole à la LuLu with tons of lime juice, garlic and habanero chilis, which I adore! Then, I went in my studio to do some serious working drawing and painting. I am finishing some commissioned orders and getting a batch of canvas ready for coloring. Can't wait to show off some of my new pieces !!!

MORE ABOUT OUR MEXICAN TRIP...

Picture # 5 and #6 - The little turtle...

I did a lot of walking on the beach, most of the times alone, a few times with Ulysse. I always tried to go beyond human living sites, beyond palapas, huts and cabanas, pass the last lonely tourist, where the real playa begins, playa of palm trees and unkept sand, of nature treasures and complete quietness...

Very early one morning, I walked south as far as my skin under the sun (dipped in sunblock) could stand and just before turning back to return, I found this little baby turtle drying in the hot sun and sand, dying. Sea turtle season starts in the Yucatan in April and this one must have been unable to pass the big waves on her first venture to the big ocean. I put it in the water but it was too weak to swim. I cupped it with my hands to shade it and walked back home for an hour and a half, wetting it once in a while to keep it confortable. When I reached our room, we placed it in a plastic pan with sand and water and kept it cool on the floor of the bathroom. Ulysse was really impressed and so worried about it not surviving. I asked friends and Mayans around what I could do about it but no one really knew... So, I told Ulysse we would be her savior!

The next morning, I thought it was dead but when I turned it on its back in my hand I could see a tiny tremor in her chin showing she was still breathing. So, we kept it again for the entire day, looked at it once in a while to see how she was doing but things did not look too good. We pulled out the barnacle shell that was attached to her head (not painful), held her in our hands hoping to transfer some energy to her poor tiny little body.

On the second morning as the sun was rising up, I went to check on her once again. When I held her she started moving ... So, I thought the moment was right, the energy transfer had worked! I ran to the ocean with her and as I was nearing the shore she started making swimming moves in the air. So, I took her with me in the waves, swam beyond the harshest ones still holding on to her and when I reached a calm spot, I let her go. She disapeared, my heart sank... then suddenly, I saw her little head stick out of the water. She scanned the horizon for a few seconds then plunged for good. There! She made it !!! I came back to the shore, all excited and yet worried she would be washed back by the waves but no, no sign of her. I ran to tell the boys about it, we were all so happy!

All day long, we went back at the same spot, making sure she was not lying there like a poor little rejected shell on the beach but no. I walked up and down the beach each day and we never saw her again...

Our little turtle had a second chance and we participated in its incredible rescue.

Have a long and peacefull life...

5 comments:

michelle said...

I love the turtle story! I was so afraid it wasn't going to have a happy ending but it did! What a great memory you will all have!

Jenn said...

the sweet baby turtle! Thank you for saving his wonderful little life!!! Your son is so adorable...I'm sure at that age he prefers being called handsome;)

Love all these tidbits of your special trip! xoxo...jenn

jean benabou said...

You are such an inspiration in all you do!
I love the bed, and the turtle story was really sweet!

The Odd Bird said...

Thank you for that story and thank you for saving the wee one. You made my day.

Lee W. said...

what a wonderful experience! I have been known to pull over and move box turtles off of the road. YOU ROCK.