Tuesday, April 22, 2008

FREE HOLLYHOCKS SEEDS FOR EARTH DAY !!!

Today is Earth Day. And I thought I should share with you on this special day my love for hollihocks... In French, we call them "Roses Trémières", my grandmother used to call them "Passeroses". They are beautiful, tall, majestous, breathtaking, colorful, delicate yet bold. They are stunning. They are the queens of my garden... People stop by on the road when they are in season and look at the army of hollyhocks that grow everywhere around our house. They are easy to grow if you do not fuss too much about them. They are independant and will decide where they like to grow best. They are THE flowers everyone should have the pleasure to marvel at yearly...

Since they give me tons of seeds each year, I have made a pledge in 2008 to throw a handful of hollyhock seeds where ever I go, on the highway while driving in my car, in Montreal in front of sad and diry houses, in fields, in secret little nooks and crannies, at school, at the grocery... I took some to Mexico a few weeks ago and scattered them in a little Mayan village that had no flowers at all to perk it up. Took some with me in Maine last summer, gave some to a friend who travelled to France at the end of the winter and to another one who is going to Alaska. EVERYWHERE I GO I will drop seeds of hollyhocks until I have no more... And hopefully, this year or the next one, when I see my favorite flower lady in an unusual place, I will know that it comes from my little corner of earth. And if I am lucky, each flower will bear seeds that will grow tons of hollyhocks everywhere, even maybe fields of them...

If you leave a comment on my blog (whether you live in Canada, the US or anywhere else around the world) to let me know you love hollyhocks too, I will be more than happy to send you a little packet of seeds for free. This way, you will have part of my garden in your part of the world...

HAPPY DAY, DESPITE EVERYTHING, MISS EARTH !!!

12 comments:

turquoise cro said...

O!!!!! Please, May I have some hollyhocks seeds????!!!!! Woot! They are soooOOOOOOoooo BEAUTY FULL!!!Thank YOU and HAPPY EARTH DAY!!!xo, Cinda Rae

jean benabou said...

It's so funny! Hollyhocks are one of my favorite flowers! I have always made an effort to plant them wherever I go. My very favorite was a dark burgundy one, it was almost black...so beautiful!

sUz said...

hi LuLu!

Yes PLEASE send me some of your lovely hollyhocks seeds! North Carolina doesn't have enough!

iN jOy,
sUz

love.boxes said...

I love Hollyhocks!I think I read somewhere that Hollyhocks are one of the flowers that bees adore.. and since the bee population is in real trouble.. more flowers for everyone please!

Jenn said...

Oh Lulu! You are the best! Send me some please and I'll spread some here on Long Island...and save some for our move to Chicago in a few months too!! Thank you so much!! xoxo...jenn

Susan said...

Oh, I used to love hollyhocks. My grandmother had them and my mom showed me how to make hollyhock dolls from them. How sweet to spread them all over the world. I love it!

jillian said...

That is the sweetest!! I never thought about spreading seeds everywhere. That was a wonderful story. Can I please join in and sread some seeds here in Illinois?!!
Thanks!!
XOXO
Jillian

Mama Lion said...

What a wonderful offer... I'd LOVE some hollyhock seeds! It's one of those old fashioned flowers you don't see much anymore, much like violets... and I love them!

Brad said...

I would love to add some hollyhocks to my yard, if it is not too late. - The wonderful towering flowers certainly have a majestic presence

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Hollyhocks and have for a long time. We would love some free seeds. My family and I just planted one lonely plant in our flower bed and it needs some friends. Thanks for sharing the beauty of these flowers with us.

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

Just happened upon your blog and saw your lovely hollyhocks!! How fortunate that yours do not get eaten by insects like all mine. What a delightful gesture to scatter your seeds all over the world. Isn't Mother Nature grand? Beautiful. Wish I'd found your site in 2008 when you were sharing your seeds! Beautiful! Jeanne www.jeanneillenye.com

tiffany said...

I love Hollyhocks!! I would love seeds even those I missed your post on earth day!!! Have a Blessed Day!!