Wednesday, March 19, 2008

SPRING? I'M WAITING FOR YOU...

This is the title of my latest painting available on eBay and Etsy. I sketched this image a couple of days ago and did not know which way to go with it colorwise. So, I did not think or hesitate, just went with my current feelings. And it worked! Somehow, the palette gives this little fairy canvas a victorian feel to it. Maybe it is all in the pose and the dress of course. As usual, it was great fun working on it! The way I go about painting is I shade my background, trace my sketch on it, then paint the face right away. This way, the subject already has its character, I feel the presence of this little person right at the start of the process. A bit like if the little fairy watches over me while I am painting her portrait. I hope she finds a great home!

It is raining tonite and the snow has been shrinking so rapidly, another couple of wet days and it will all be gone...It will then be the toughest time of the year for me: Staying inside to work in my studio rather than working outside in the garden. I LOVE gardening and have been at it for almost 20 years! I mostly grown everything from seeds, strange vegetables, unusual berries and fruits and tons of annual and perenial flowers of all sizes and colors. I am so crazy about gardening that when I was pregnant with Ulysse, I got to work on a book for kids with 106 full-page illustrations. Biggest assignment I ever got! So, there I was working all-day long in my studio, with my 2-year old boy running around, tight delivery deadlines and absolutely no spare time to go outside and play in the dirt. Then, one day I had the brightest idea! I took big hallogen spotlights in the garden and rototilled the soil from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m... I will always remember that summer, working in the darkness of the night with rays of bright light attracting tons of June bugs, night butterflies and nightcrawlers...

Call me crazy but a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do!!!

5 comments:

Lee W. said...

You'll have to tell me your secrets of growing from seeds- I want to try it. I never know when to start them! I love the idea of you tolling outside in the dark- the farmers around here sometimes do it. I love the garden- BUT have tons of deer around here...

love.boxes said...

Beautiful! I love it!

Jenn said...

She is so beautiful Lulu!! Love her colors so much. I love to garden as well and am SUPER anxious to get my hands dirty!!! Happy day to you!!! xox..jenn

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Beautiful! I love your work, and I enjoyed my stop by your blog~
Cathy

michelle said...

I love hearing about your process! She is just beautiful! I love the gardening story. Moms don't need much sleep right?