Tuesday, March 18, 2008

LOVE GIFT, COW OVER THE MOON AND THE POLAR BEAR...

This morning, François offered me my belated Valentine gift... He had been working on this piece for a while but the outside shop got too cold, welding became impossible for a few weeks and the sculpture had to be put away unfinished till the weather got better...Today was the day! I love it ! Don't you?

As I was walking to the chicken coop to feed them early this morning, I passed by my garden cement polar bear. This garden ornament has been with us for almost 25 years now, seated on a big flat at the entrance of the garden, now shaded by a wild apple tree that happened to grow there. My grand-father bought this polar bear in the 1940s and had it in his garden in the back of his house in Montreal.

Both my grand-parents were amazing flowers and vegetables gardeners and visiting them was always so much a pleasure. I remember sleeping in a big canopy swing under the huge weeping willow while the robins were singing, choosing Shasta daisies, colorful tulips or antsy peonies to make bouquets to take back home, walking between the rows of tender young lettuce and just perfect carrots and pulling as many as I wanted to eat without even cleaning them. I remember the smell of the enormous lilac trees in spring and finding a real baby duck in the birdbath one afternoon, which my grand-papa had gotten for me for Easter. I remember grand-maman Gabrielle collecting insects of all kinds, showing the eggs in the nest sparrows had built in the big blue spruce, of which I was so found of removing the little brown skin that came off newly emerging branch tips, like little hat on tiny heads or little cocoons.

And I remember walking by the polar bear every time I was in the yard, riding it like a poney when I was real small, sitting on it later to admire the view of all the nature happening there...

When my grand-papa Paul passed away many years later, this is the first thing I wanted to keep in souvenir of him. The polar bear. Ulysse loves it too and I am sure one day, he will take it with him to his house, put it at the entrance of his garden and every time he will walk past it, he will remember the stories I told him about my grandparents and he will remember all the good things about the garden of his childhood too...

The sky this morning was so blue, right at the moment the sun had really come out, chilly and windless...but, out of habit, I looked at the weathervane to see what it was pointing too and I smiled... My weathervane is the greatest weathervane in the world, you will not find one more whimsical than ours!

4 comments:

love.boxes said...

What a fun polar bear.. with all those lovely memories attached! :)

Lee W. said...

Love the bear- and the stopry that goes with it. What wonderful childhood memories! Tell your son he did a great job on the present too!

michelle said...

What a great post! I love the polar bear and his story! And you are right,you have a perfect weather vane!

LINDSAY said...

Love reading your stories and looking at your pics. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such sweet comments. :)