Monday, January 28, 2008

THE STORY OF ST-JOSEPH...

Let me tell you the story of my St-Joseph, who has been guarding the garden for the past 15 years...

A friend of mine lives besides an old church on a small street in Eastern Montreal. He is an illustrator, who has decided to make a turn and switch to painting full-time now. He is doing very well, paints humongous canvas paintings in oil, I am talking BIG size. He paints in a hyper-realistic style a diversity of funky montage of pop objects, or flower assemblage or other very interesting subjects. He is now spending his winter in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico where he is represented in a gallery.

Anyways, he is walking back home one day and he sees this strange human form peeking out of the pile of garbage besides the basement of the church. He moves the stuff away and discovers this beautiful all-marble sculpture of St-Joseph, there among the trash! This thing was so heavy, he managed to twist and pull and push and roll it in his yard. He later discovered that some of nuns working at the church to help had decided that the Holly Manger was no longer needed and decided to throw in the garbage the character adorning during Christmas, planning on getting rid of them one by one weekly. Can you believe it? They later changed their mind and just kept the rest of the sculptures.

Well, this St-Joseph felt lonely in my friend's backyard so one day I mentioned to him that I thought he would be beautiful in my garden in the country. He gave it to me at the condition that I would move him!!! Francois managed to embark him in the trunk of our old Volvo, with the help of many other arms and hands, and so was the beginning of a new life in paradise for old St-Joseph.

He is now the focus point of my garden. He can be viewed from everywhere, he guards the chicken coop, stands in the canopy of shade gourds and Scarlet Runner beans created climbing up the trellis I build from our the metal frame from the tent we used three times in Mexico. He stands alone covered in snow in winter and surrounded by flowers in summer. He is here to stay forever and ever... When my son was very young, he went to him one day, planted a cut flower in his hand and kissed him on the cheek. This is a sweet memory that I will cherish forever. We love our St-Joseph and I think he loves us too...

5 comments:

Lee W. said...

what a great story! I love garden statues. I had a small St. Francis, but he was only plastic and eventually cracked.

Diane Duda said...

I love your St. Joseph too and the thought of your little boy kissing him makes me smile.

~your Frida painting is beautiful!!!

xo
Di

Deirdra Doan said...

Too cute! That is a fantastic story.
Thanks for your dear comment.

Danita said...

That story is beautiful! And your boy kissing him just melts my heart!

Lora said...

Great work.