Friday, January 25, 2008

SCHOOL MEMORIES...

I love old style educational illlustrations. And I love anatomical and botanical old-Europe illustrations. And I particularly ADORE old school posters. The teacher would pin them on the wall above the blackboard or in a space between windows. Some were fashioned like window blinds, you would roll them down to show the image and would roll them up after when you where done. Some were used to teach the alphabeth, some to talk about everyday life good manners and some others were just meant to decorate the class. They were illustrated mostly by European artists and their talent was just incredible...

After school, I went to the library with Ulysse to get a stack of comic books and a few adventure novels. Our library is small, nothing like the BIG old National library I used to go to every Saturday with my mom and brother. It is rather modern and at the entrance there is a large room that is used as a gallery to exhibit the work of local artists. And the current show was a collection of old school posters!!! I took pictures of them all, they were unbelievable! And large too! They were saved by this lady who happened to find them in a trash bin a few years ago when an old school was being renovated. Can you imagine throwing these jewels in the garbage!

All week has been work, work, work to make up for the lost time of last week. And it is a week during which working is easy and fun and satisfying. Being sick and taking a break was good. I distanced myself from what I was doing artistic-wise and just shed my old skin! So I was able to finish 2 paintings today, my new Frida and another, maybe the last, Valentine girl. But the light was not good enough by the time I was ready to photograph them, so I will do that tomorrow and post them on eBay and maybe Etsy. I love being in this space of mind, no need to force ideas to come out, I wake up and they are right here, next to my pillow, waiting for me to grab my first cup of café au lait and jump start a new day...

CAN YOU BELIEVE SOME PEOPLE ARE BORED AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO MAKE THE TIME PASS ?

Not me....

Oh! before I forget, thanks to you all for visiting my blog and leaving comments and buying my paintings and being interested in what is happening with my art and my life. I read yours too daily (or almost) but have not had the time to leave as many comments as I would have liked to. But I read you all and enjoy it a lot.

2 comments:

love.boxes said...

I can't believe that anyone would ever throw those away. They are truly amazing.. frame worthy.

My husband and I, when we are watching the local in the evenings will often say.. "how do these people have time to get into so much trouble."

Artists never have time for trouble or much of anything else.. :)

michelle said...

I agree, lovely posters! And I can't imagine being bored either!