Monday, January 14, 2008

QUIEN ES ESTA NINA? WHO'S THAT GIRL ?

Well, it's happened again...

It is true that 3 dogs, 5 cats, a rooster, 2 hens, 3 fish, a few snails and a turtle is not enough to fill an ark. But....we did not really need a new member in the circus. Although we've said that so many times before...

The dogs were barking outside yesterday morning and when I came out to take the garbage to the road, I noticed this BIG dog standing still on the other side, seated, quiet, waiting. When I approached it, it did not bark, growl or run away, it just crouch in a ball and hid behind a wood box. I let it be, ignored it and went back inside. About an hour later, I checked and the dog was still standing there at the same exact spot, watching. But the other dogs had gotten interested in it and they seem to be trying to get to know each other. Took the car to go to the post office and just before getting in, I went back and talk to it softly. It did not move. Went to do the things I had to do and when I came back home, I went to it again and talked to her longer. I called it softly again, and again and again and suddenly, it moved and came to me wiggling its tail.

What a beautiful dog! And what a BIG dog! So affectionate and sweet and shy. Female, about 100 pounds, big like a large Boxer or almost a Dane, very strangely marbelized like a piece of maple fudge with some dark and white chocolate twirled in it, with a face so gentle and a head the size of a small dog.

She spent the day here, did not try to go back home, if home there was. She played with the dogs, did not fight or growl at them. When she got quiet, she went back to the wood box, sat down and waited. I made tons of call to try to find who's dog it was, no success. Tried to find a place where at least she could find shelter from the cold and the snow but nothing was available unless we were talking serious business like dog pound or animal shelters. So we decided to play it by ear. We fed her well, gave her water and tried to make her go in the dog house we built (which the dogs completely ignore) but she would go. She played with me, wanted to be pet. But no way we would let her in, just in case she was a cat nibbler. The weather was not so bad...

She was there again in the morning, same spot. When I called her, she came with less hesitation. It seems like all she wants is LOOOOOOVE. We checked billboards around, asked people once again, but no one seems to be looking for this big dog. Of course, she does not have a collar nor a medal. She spent the day around, playing, running, eating well, getting less shy. We named her Babette! Tonite was getting much colder so I took her bowl of food in the dog house and she followed it. I treated her with a raw hide strip, placed it there once gain, she went for it but came out. I was getting worried she would be cold during the night but... Francois went to get wood for the stoves and there she was, sleeping tightly inside the dog house. I am so happy, at least she is not out in the wide open, snow falling, wind blowing, and maybe no one looking for her...My experience with other dogs we found is went they are homeless, they are very quiet and resignated rather than be excited like dogs on the run...

Goodnight Babette, sleep tight.

One day at a time, let's see what happens tomorrow.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, what a sweet, sad story. I hope you can keep her. Baby Milo was a stray with a similar story and we have had him almost 17 years.
Susan K.

annas dreams blog said...

Yes it is a Beautiful story. I hope Babette stays with you forever. Welcome home Babette!!!!

sUz said...

luLu,
What a huge heart you have! I think Babette is a perfect name for such a large and loveable girl.
iN jOy,
sUz

Lee W. said...

Her coloring is called Brindle. Wish we were closer- I'd take her.