Sunday, January 13, 2008

LOOK WHAT I GOT FOR MY BIRTHDAY...

I LOVE surprises. I am a big baby. I love anything gift wrapped and addressed to me. Well, actually, maybe I even love better giving surprises than receiving them but... I still LOVE getting unexpected and mysterious parcels. And today, look at what my friend Sylvie sent me from a recent trip to Mexico City:

The first item is a coconut mask doll, brought back from the Pacific side. The head is made from half a coconut shell and adorned with seed pods, shaped with adobe clay, painted over than varnish. The body is made from sewn canvas then painted and varnished too. I already have a few of these amazing dolls but this is my favorite and it is PINK!

The other item is a clay miniature tree of life, complete with Adam & Eve, the snake, an angel and a devil and even the eye looking over the tree. This arbol de vida is sealed in a painted wood box with glass in front. It is INCREDIBLE! I am so happy, these will go in my studio, there will be a special spot for each of them. Merci, mon amie Sylvie!

I have been working on two commissioned paintings that need to be done on Monday so I haven't been able to finish some pieces I was planning to post on eBay and Etsy. Will do on Monday, I guess, if nothing else comes this way.

Ulysse spent the day at a friend's place in the village and while walking in the forest in the back of the house, they found a bear trap !!!!! A large jaws-open ready to snap nasty trap big enough for a brown bear, an animal that we see once in a while on the mountain but which is illigal to hunt. Ulysse said they stayed far from it and threw a large piece of wood on it to try to close it but he think it had been there for a while, the thing was completely rusted. Still, imagine stepping on one of these while having a nice walk in the forest? I HATE these traps, they are so horrible and do so much damage... I wonder if the people who sets them up get caught in them sometimes...(smile). Thankfully, the method of hunting is not really used anymore in the county and even deer hunting is not as popular as it used to be. I saw bears a couple of times while hiking on the mountain, never got in trouble with them...Each time, the sight was like magic....

8 comments:

Susan said...

Ohh, what beautiful gifts. I love the colors. Your account of the bear trap is scary. I grew up in an area where hunting was a way of life, so I have mixed feelings about it. It is good Ulysse and his friend were smart about this. By the way, did he and his friends make enough squares for the knitted blanket? Just wondering.
Susan K.

michelle said...

What lovely treasures! You lucky girl! and I have chills just thinking of your boy near a trap like that! Glad he was smart enought to stay away!

annas dreams blog said...

Hi Lulu: It so nice to see the way you appreciate Mexican Art, its a very laborious work and most of them are handmade. The coconut head doll is soooooo pretty, I have a mermaid like that too, with those beautiful bright colors, and your life tree is adorable, very beautiful gifts. It wish people would be more conscious and stop hunting just for fun, its very sad to see how the human are ending with some of the most beautiful creatures in the world, very sad. Well congratulations on your new gifts. :) Lillian

Groggy Froggy said...

I followed you from comments on Suziblu's blog. Wow! I just have to tell you that I love, love, love your blog!! Happy Birthday.

mushroommeadows said...

yeah, I love surprises, too! :) The Adam and Eve piece is quite amazing.

Enchanted Productions by Joyce Stahl said...

Bonjour Lulu!

And Happy Birthday! What wonderful gifts you received...that's so exciting! Hope you had a great day too!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get over to check out your artwork and blog, (by the way, both are tres magnifique too) but it's been a crazy-busy week! I haven't had much time for my blog at all this week. I did post a preview of my latest doll...she lists tonight on ebay.

Well...it was so nice to meet you Lulu...and I will definitely be back often! And please come visit my blog too...I love comments!

Hugs,
Joyce

Enchanted Productions by Joyce Stahl said...

Oh...by the way...I'm going to add you to my link list if that's OK.

au revoir,
Joyce

Jenn said...

Love your gifts!! My Mom has a whole fabulous wall of these Mexican coconut masks...I adore them!!! You would love her Mexican art filled home:) xox..jenn